I love Moroccan spices. I am always looking for food combinations to add them to. Having tried Moroccan beef and Moroccan Chicken it was time for a vegetarian option. I’m a firm believer that most of us have too much meat in our diets and am always looking for good veggie alternatives.
I was keen to come up with a recipe that was tasty but with lots of textures and some substance. I came up with these vegetarian Moroccan aubergine parcels that pack a taste punch and are substantial enough for a main course
The parcels are basically puff pastry filled with a spicy tomato mix with aubergines and chick peas. I was really pleased with the results and best of all, they are suitable for freezing!
If you want to try them, here is what you will need:
Ingredients for Moroccan aubergine parcels:
- 2 aubergines (cut into cubes)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 500g carton passata
- 1 400g can of chickpeas
- 150g spinach (chopped)
- 6 dried apricots (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsps Ras-el-haout
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- puff pastry ( I used ready made as it is so convenient)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps milk
- Roast the aubergine for 40 mins at 200C
- Fry the chopped onion
- Add the passata, aubergine, spinach, spices, almonds, apricots and chickpeas
- simmer over a low heat
- season to taste
- cut the pastry into squares
- place a generous spoonful of the aubergine mix into the centre
- mx the egg and milk together to make an egg wash
- Paint the egg wash round the edge of the pastry and fold over into a triangle, pinching the edges to form a seal
- Paint the egg wash over the pastry triangles
- Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180C for around 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden
- Serve and enjoy
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?