There are many many reasons to make your own cupcakes but here are my top five:
- They are easy to make
- You can use any flavours
- You can get creative and decorate them anyway you want
- Just one can satisfy your cake cravings
- They are delicious
I love making cupcakes, the whole process of baking and decorating these little treats is totally therapeutic and the perfect thing to do at the end of a stressful day. Best of all they can be frozen and you can just defrost a few at a time as you need them!
I wasn’t sure if the combination of raspberry and lemon would work but my policy is to have a go (if they don’t work, I have three pet hens who will demolish anything!) My main rationale for trying this combination was that I had both raspberries and lemons in the house but I have to say they were a triumph, moist, fresh and zingy! I will definitely be making these again. Give them a try and let me know what you think
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 8 oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- FOR THE ICING
- 8 oz butter
- 16 oz icing sugar
- 125g carton of fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (from the unused half a lemon)
- cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- mix in the eggs
- slowly mix in the flour, lemon zest and juice of half a lemon
- Spoon into paper bun cases (about half full)
- Bake at 180C for around 20 minutes. They should spring back to the touch when they are ready
- cool on a wire rack
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar for the buttercream
- set a few raspberries to one side for decorating
- mash up the rest in a bowl with a tblsp lemon juice
- Mix into the buttercream
- scrape the buttercream into a piping bag with a nozzle
- Pipe over the top of the cupcakes
- Decorate to your hearts desire!
EquipmentArray (  => food mixer or hand blender  => bun baking trays  => paper bun cases  => grater or lemon zester  => Juice squeezer  => piping bag and nozzle )
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?