My friend, Mandy has the most amazing allotment and inspired me to grow my own vegetables. In fairness, my vegetable growing has not been as extensive as I first imagined so I was thrilled when she invited me to come and pick some of her Brussel sprouts for Christmas Day!
Sprouts are the Marmite of the vegetable world, you either love them or you hate them. I personally love them and would eat them all year round! They actually are very good for you so I am offering you my top 5 reasons to love them too
- They are full of nutrients but very low in calories. This means that you can fill on them without worrying about weight gain.
- They contain a range of enzymes that you just don’t normally find in food that really boost your metabolism.
- Sprouts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which are a good form of cholesterol and help reduce the amount of harmful cholesterol in your blood stream
- They have really high levels of vitamin C which help boost your immune system
- Their high levels of fibre provide a useful boost to your digestive system
Serving suggestion– I partly cook the sprouts and finish in a pan with fried lardons of pancetta and chopped chestnuts- Yummy!
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?