- 4oz butter (softened)
- 4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 oz self-raising flour
- 2-3 tblsp milk
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 10 oz icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tblsp milk
- 5 oz butter (softened)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Mix in the flour, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. A skewer inserted into one of the cakes should come out clean if they are cooked.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack (make sure they are totally cold or the icing will melt).
- To make the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a bowl until soft. Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Add some milk until the texture is creamy.
- Put the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe onto the cup cakes in a circular swirl.
- Decorate in whatever way you like
- Serve and enjoy
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?