I have been growing my own cucumbers and am amazed by how many I am getting from one plant. We really are eating them with everything!
I decided to try my hand at pickling them and storing them in Kilner Jars. I had a play around with a few spice variations before coming up with this combination. Most pickle recipes have some sugar but I was keen to avoid it to keep it as a healthy option. I’m glad I did as the end result was delicious. I can’t wait to make some more!
Give them a try and let me know how you get on.
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsps mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 200mls apple cider vinegar
- 200mls water
- Prepare the jars, they need to be steralized with boiling water for fridge pickles (For longer term storage, steralize in the oven)
- Wash and try the cucumber then remove the end pieces
- Cut into spears or slices
- Peel and finely slice the shallots
- Divide the shallots and spices between the jars
- Pack in the slices or spears as tightly as possible
- Divide the water and vinegar between the jars. Add more of both in equal measure if needed to top the jars
- Replace the lids and store in the fridge
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?