Eating Ideas Towers is currently snow bound and I’m getting a little bit of cabin fever. What better time to make a delicious soup? Hearty, healthy and warming- perfect on a freezing cold day. This soup is made with bacon, lentils, carrots and parsnips. I have to say, its totally delicious and just what I needed after building a snow hen in the garden!
The recipe, instructions and video can be found below…
- 3 rashers of smoked back bacon
- 2 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 large parsnips (peeled and chopped)
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped_
- 125g red lentils
- 1 litre of ham stock (or alternative stock)
- Extra water if required
- Fry the bacon in the pot and set to one side
- Fry the onion and add the stock
- Add the carrots, parsnips and lentils and bring to a simmer
- remove the rind from the back and discard
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the soup mixture
- Simmer until the vegetables are fully cooked
- Blend until partially smooth. Leave some texture
- Add water if needed to get the right consistency
- Season to taste
- Serve and enjoy
Did you know that I have soup making credentials? My bacon and bean soup won the New Covent Garden soup of the Month competition. It was made and sold around the UK and I will admit be being thrilled to see my name on the carton!
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?