Did you know that raw cacao is a bit of a superfood? It is the healthier version of cocoa and while cocoa is processed with sugar added, cacao is naturally good for us and rich in anti oxidants and minerals. It has to be said that it does taste different from regular chocolate as its not nearly as sweet but a good, natural sweetener will sort that out.
I decided to use dates as the base for mine as they are naturally sweet and undetectable when they are blended with the other ingredients. I love the combination of chocolate and orange so thought that the orange would help with the flavour.
The resulting uncooked pudding tasted really good although it was extremely rich. be warned- a little slice will be enough
Here’s what you will need to make it
For the base:
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 3 tblsps runny honey
- 1 level tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 100g coconut oil
For the filling:
- 100g dates (any stones removed)
- zest of 2 large oranges
- Juice of one of the oranges
- 50g coconut oil
- 180g runny honey
- 125g raw cacao powder
- soak the dates in boiling water and leave to one side
- Place all the ingredients for the base in a food processor and blitz together
- Press into a greased tart tin (a loose bottomed one is best)
- chill in the fridge
- drain the dates and put them in a food processor with the zest, juice, oil, honey and cacao powder. Blitz it until it is smooth
- Pour the mixture over the base and chill
- Top with some orange zest and serve
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?