I was looking for a reasonably simple but attractive dessert that would look good on the table after Sunday lunch. To be honest, I am all in favour of the least effort: Maximum impact ratio in nearly everything I do! I’m not saying I’m lazy, I just like doing things as simply and effectively as possible.
These chocolate orange mousse filled oranges fit the bill perfectly. They look good, taste good and leave no confusion as to what they are. Its simply a case of removing the flesh from the orange, making chocolate orange mousse and piping the mousse into the empty oranges! What’s not to like about that? Throw in the fact that they are providing an extra shot of vitamin C and they feel positively healthy!!!
- 300g dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- carton of whipping cream
- 2 tbsps caster sugar
- 3 oranges (one is extra for zest)
- 6 tblsps orange juice
- Zest one of the oranges and slice the others in half
- Squeeze the juice from the oranges, making sure not to damage the skins, remove the pith and set aside
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water
- Separate the eggs
- whip the cream in one bowl and the egg whites in another
- add the sugar to the beaten egg whites and whisk until in stiff peaks
- carefully stir the egg yolks into the chocolate once it is cool
- Fold in half of the egg whites followed by the other half
- add the whipped cream
- stir in the orange zest and juice
- chill for 2 hours
- place the mixture in a piping bag and pipe into the orange halves
- serve with berries
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?