I have been growing my own cucumbers and can’t believe how many I have been getting from one plant. Better still, they have been absolutely huge! I have been looking for ways to use them up and if I’m completely honest, I’m a bit bored of eating them with everything.
I have used carrots and courgettes in baking before but wasn’t sure if cucumber would work. Given the sheer quantity of cucumber in the house, it was a no-brainer to give it a go. I’m glad I did as it resulted in a fresh, moist and delicious cake, perfect with the gin drizzle!
- 200g cucumber (deseeded and grated)
- zest & juice of half a lemon
- 150g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
For the drizzle
- 3 tbsps gin
- 75g caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Line a 2 lb cake tin
- Add the lemon zest and juice to the grated cucumber
- beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy
- mix in the eggs
- Add a quarter of the flour and mix then a quarter of the cucumber and mix. Repeat until it is all added
- Pour the mixture into the lined cake tin
- Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes (if it starts looking too brown, place a sheet of tinfoil over the top
- When cooked, the cake should spring back to the touch and a skewer should come out clean when inserted
My Monster home grown cucumbers
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?