Gluten free diets are becoming more and more popular, some for medically essential reasons and some as a lifestyle choice! One of my very best friends has to follow a gluten-free diet and I am very aware that it can be extremely challenging at times. Its amazing just how many things contain gluten. The gluten free campaign has taken off massively and most supermarkets, artisan producers and restaurants now offer gluten free alternatives which is fabulous. Although I am not gluten intolerant myself, I do like to experiment with gluten-free alternatives in home cooking. It has to be said that some experiments are more successful than others!
I decided to set about making a gluten free cake using mashed potato as part of Mash Directs #Mashedvegoff campaign.
I wasn’t sure if this was a risk too far or if it would actually work. In truth, my first few experiments were a disaster. It was really hard working out how much potato to use and what to mix it with. In the end, I used gram (chickpea) flour to add some texture and keep the mixture gluten free. If you decide to give it a go- make sure that your baking powder is gluten-free too.
I was delighted by how this turned out. It was really light and fluffy and tasted fantastic. This is one experiment that definitely paid off (eventually). I will definitely be making this again!
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsps milk
- 250g mashed potato
- 175g gram flour
- 2tsps baking powder (make sure its gluten free) 1 orange- zest and juice 75g casrersugarter
- 1 orange- zest and juice
- 75g caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- make sure the mashed potato is very dry, fluff up in a bowl and set aside
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy
- mix in the eggs and milk
- add the orange zest, baking powder and gram flour
- mix in the mashed potato
- pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin
- bake in the oven for 40- 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted
- mix together the orange juice and caster sugar
- prick the cake all over with a skewer
- pour the orange juice mix all over the cake and allow to cool
- serve and enjoy!
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?