I am totally addicted to sweet chilli sauce- I add it to loads of things and love the sweet/ savoury kick it gives. I am very conscious that it is loaded with sugar which is why it tastes so good but a little of what we fancy does us good- right?
I decided to make my own. My thinking is that while sugar is bad for us, we do need some in our diets and a home made version using all fresh natural ingredients with no preservatives has to better for us
I was really pleased with the results and delighted that it tastes as good as the real thing without the additives !
To make it you will need the following:
Ingredients for sweet chilli sauce
- 4 red peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- 100g red chillies
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 225g sugar
- 300 mls white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsps salt
- a few twists of ground black pepper
- Roast the red peppers and remove the skins
- skin the tomatoes and remove the seeds (the best way to do this is to drop them into boiling water which loosens the skin)
- Peel the garlic cloves and ginger
- remove the seeds from the chillies
- place the peppers, tomatos, ginger, garlic and chillies in a food processor and blitz well
- add all the other ingredients to a pan and pour in the chilli mixture
- bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the mixture is thick and syrupy
Pour into sterilised jars
I hope that you enjoy this as much as me!
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?