This is a wholesome and hearty vegetarian version of the traditional Chill Con Carne. It is packed full of flavours and textures and is excellent value for money. This is one that all the family will enjoy. I made it for my best friends Molly and Rachel and we loved it. I will definitely be making it again!
You can find the VoucherBox free recipe book here. Its well worth a look for some fabulous low budget recipes from 22 food and lifestyle bloggers. I am very proud to be one of them. Make sure to check it out.
The recipe and instructions are below the video
- 1 Kg sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped into chunks)
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1x tin tomatoes
- 2.5 tsps ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to season
- 450g rice (75g per person)
- Spread the sweet potato on a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp ground cumin and mix together
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes at 180C
- Fry the onion in 1 tablespoon oil until soft and golden brown in colour
- Add the rest of the cumin, chilli powder, smoked paprika, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans and chickpeas
- Bring to a simmer and add the roasted sweet potato
- Keep on a low simmer until the Sweet potato is soft through
- If the mixture is too dry, add some water
- Add more spice if required
- Season to taste
- Serve with boiled rice (75g per person)
What Do You Think?
Recommend this content to other Eating Ideas readers by giving it a thumbs up!
Or why not tell us what you think by leaving a comment?